With the summer winding down and the draft and free agency behind us, the NBA season is set to begin in just a few months. The Atlanta Hawks have done well this summer by adding depth on the wing and drafting a stretch-four in Adreian Payne, so this season could be a special one for the team.
Although the official release of the NBA schedule didn’t happen until 6 PM ET on Wednesday, the media was able to grab some leaks. One of those leaks was the MLK Day slate of games, which includes the Hawks at home against the Pistons.
Outside of that game, Atlanta’s schedule was under lock and key until it’s official release. We here at Soaring Down South have the schedule in its entirety for you, and have highlighted some key games:
- The Hawks will open their season on October 29th against the Raptors in Toronto
- The home opener will be on November 1st against the Indiana Pacers
- Kobe Bryant and the Lakers come to Atlanta on November 18th
- The first four-game home stretch occurs between November 26th and December second. Opponents include Toronto, New Orleans, Charlotte, and Boston
- Kyle Korver and Paul Millsap’s former team, the Utah Jazz, come to Philips Arena on November 12th
- Derrick Rose makes his return to Philips Arena on December 15th
- In the final game of 2014 — on December 30th — LeBron James makes his Cavalier return in Atlanta when the Hawks take on the Cavs
- Josh Smith comes back to Philips with the Pistons on MLK Day — January 19th
- The Hawks have a seven-game homestand from January 19th-31st
- Reigning MVP Kevin Durant and the Thunder come to Atlanta on January 23rd
- The regular season will end for the Hawks on April 15th in Chicago against the Bulls
All home games this season will have a start time of 7 PM or 7:30 PM ET, except for:
- December 7th against Denver- 3:30 PM ET
- January 11th against Washington – 3 PM ET
- Mon January 19th against Detroit – 2:30 PM ET
- January 25th against Minnesota – 6 PM ET
- March 22nd against San Antonio – 3 PM ET
The Hawks will also have four national TV games, and all other games will be aired on Fox Sports South and SportsSouth.
From the official release:
Every game will air live on the Hawks flagship radio station, SportsRadio 92.9 The Game, with The Voice of the Hawks Steve Holman announcing the action. The local TV schedule on Fox Sports South and SportSouth will be released at a later date. Atlanta is scheduled to appear on national television four times – Nov. 10th at New York (NBA TV), Jan. 14th at Boston (ESPN), Jan. 19th vs. Detroit (ESPN) and Feb. 2nd at New Orleans (NBA TV).
During the 82-game regular season schedule, Atlanta will take on each Eastern Conference team four times with the exception of Boston and Chicago (once at Philips Arena, twice on the road), and New York and Indiana (twice at home, once on the road). The Hawks face each Western Conference opponent twice.
We now know that the journey will begin on October 29th in Toronto. Stay tuned to Soaring Down South throughout the season to keep up with all the latest news revolving the Atlanta Hawks.
To see the full schedule, click here. (via USA TODAY Sports)